10/18/07 detroit 4, SHARKS 2
Happy birthday to me. Hooray.
About 30 minutes of great hockey. Strong passing, strong defensive plays, using the body just as they should. Unfortunately, it was coupled with 30 minutes of lackluster hockey that we've unfortunately seen way too often, this year, last year, and the year before. Poor passing, lack of a breakout pass, and allowing themselves to not even challenge in the corners.
Matt Carle did have a beautiful shot tipped by Jonathan Cheechoo for a goal, and Mike Grier was actually able to capitalize upon one of his great scoring chances, but Nabby struggled with a couple of difficult shots, and the PK couldn't hold off a surging Red Wing PP, and well, 4-2 happened.
It is early in the year still, and things can still turn for the better. This team on ice is extremely talented, probably talented enough to challenge for the Cup, but the mental aspect just isn't there. The desire, the hunger, the relentlessness, it's just currently lacking. Whether that's something that needs to come from the coaching staff or from the guys with the C or A's on their chest, I'm not sure. Hell, I'm sure there are some rookies that could add some strong words, something is missing, and someone needs to bring it to the table for this team to succeed into the early summertime.
Stuff gets a shot to turn for the better tomorrow (Saturday) night when the new look (jerseywise [ugly] and rosterwise [jury still out]) Nashville Predators visit the Tank (7:30). Nashville stumbles into the building a much different team than the 06/07 edition, lacking names like Kariya, Forsberg, Hartnell, and Vokoun. Losers of their last four contests, Nashville should be a determined team. Hopefully, so are the Sharks.
GO SHARKS (win at home. ready go.)
* This is the last home game in the month of October for the Sharks, they hit the road for a four game trip (@ CGY, DET, CBJ, and DAL) before returning home again on November 2nd
* Through the first seven games, the Sharks have alternated results: L (@ Edmonton) W (@ Vancouver) L (@ Colorado) W (@ Chicago) L (vs Boston) W (@ Vancouver) L (vs Detroit).
* Jeremy Roenick still sits 3 goals from 500, and is not expected to play tomorrow, also not expected in the lineup is Douglas Murray, who was cut in the throat with a skate blade in practice Friday
* Alexei Semenov has been lifted from IR, status unknown for tomorrow's game
* Former Shark Sandis Ozolinsh has been cleared by the NHL to be signed to a contract, and has signed a PTO with the Worcester Sharks of the AHL.
* The power didn't go out last night, and the scoreboard/led fascia display was awesome. Still lost though.
* Former Shark Mike Ricci was welcomed back to the Tank last night by a standing o. Reech is back with the team in an assistant to the team role and dropped the puck last night, mullet in full flowing glory.
The aforementioned Reech and his aforementioned mulleted glory.